General Management Internship for Attack Theatre's 2017/18 Season
Point of Contact: Rebecca Himberger, Executive Director
[email protected], 412-281-3305
General Management internships at Attack Theatre are ideal for persons interested in the overall workings of a performing arts organization. The General Management intern interacts with all departments including artistic, production, arts education, marketing, finance, and development. Duties include daily business functions, research/analysis, archival organization, artistic administration, and special projects aligned with the candidate's individual focus.
Intern Position Description:
Founded 23 years ago, Attack Theatre currently operates with a staff of two artistic directors, five administrative employees, and a company of dancers, musicians, and designers working interdependently. The company’s studio/rehearsal space in the Pittsburgh Opera building in the Strip District is designed to facilitate easy collaboration between the artistic and administrative staff. Due to the small and collaborative nature of Attack Theatre’s staff, this position offers a valuable learning experience that more compartmentalized internships do not offer. This internship will offer insight and experience in the workings of a growing nonprofit arts organization based locally and working globally.
Applicant must be willing to take initiative, work independently and effectively within a fast-paced environment. Internship responsibilities may include:
- Assist with organization of 2017/18 programs including: Smaller seasonal performances, Fall mainstage production, fundraising events, special events like The Down And Dirty Dance Party, and numerous educational and outreach performances and residencies
- Assist with marketing research and development for performances and events
- Assist with archiving company data including educational, production, and administrative materials, assist in the design of new organizational strategies for company data
- Assist with preparation of local and national grants and final reports, upkeep of grant calendar and deadlines.
- Research new foundations, donor sources, and corporate sponsorships
Intern Will Gain:
- Diverse skills and hands-on experience in nonprofit management for a mid-sized performing arts organization.
- Experience supporting Attack Theatre programs that include local theater and site-specific productions, arts education, and touring initiatives
- Experience coordinating and communicating with artists
- Opportunities to give creative insights or feedback regarding potential projects/performances, marketing and sponsorship strategies
- Opportunities to interact with professionals in the nonprofit sector, specifically the arts
Intern must have:
- Interest in non-profit performing arts
- An in-progress, or completed, undergraduate degree
- Curiosity and interest in learning the field
- Semi-regular availability (schedule will be mutually agreed upon)
And most importantly, intern must be open-minded, self-motivated, organized, able to work independently in a fast-paced setting, and interested in and passionate about learning everyday.
To apply for the General Management Internship for the 2017/18 Season, please send a cover letter and resume to Rebecca Himberger ([email protected]). Applicants will be reviewed and contacted for phone or in-person interviews in August 2017.